PCSX-R Mac Save State Controller Issue

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Hi, I've been having an issue defrosting save states on my MBP running Snow Leopard.

Saving the state works perfectly, as does saving to and loading from a memory card file. However, upon loading a save state, all input from the controller does not work. The game seems to be running fine with all animations proceeding as usual. All of my input preferences remain normal once I have exited the game to check them...is there any way to access this while in-game?

I have tried this using configurations with the keyboard and an external ps2 controller. The issue persists with both.

For reference, I have been solely running Chrono Cross. I have had no other problems.

Thank you!

Jan 20, 2010 at 12:52 PM

I can confirm this problem on both of my machines (MBP Intel chip 10.5 2gig ram, Mac Mini Intel chip 10.6 2gig ram). Apparently it is an issue on both leopard and snow leopard. I am using default plugins from the latest release. This issue has been a problem in every game I've tried so far (FF VII, Star Ocean 2, FFT). The application (for me at least) also crashes after a reset following this problem; quitting and then reopening the app makes everything fine again. I am fairly new to emulation (PS2 just quit working) and would appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

Coordinator
Jan 31, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Changed a bit to the code which may fix this. Please check if the latest SVN still have this issue.

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:12 PM

couldn't get it to compile, configure script ran ok, couldn't make/makefile/install. guess I'll have to wait until you update the binary download

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:48 AM

i've seen the same problem in several different games. tried building in xcode from svn, but the app crashes when loading an iso. are there any special build instructions?

Coordinator
Feb 6, 2010 at 3:29 AM
imnu4ea wrote:

couldn't get it to compile, configure script ran ok, couldn't make/makefile/install. guess I'll have to wait until you update the binary download

use the xcode project instead of configure/make

Coordinator
Feb 6, 2010 at 3:30 AM
fulano wrote:

i've seen the same problem in several different games. tried building in xcode from svn, but the app crashes when loading an iso. are there any special build instructions?

Try turning off dynarec cpu core in preferences.

Feb 7, 2010 at 12:42 AM

The latest build resolved this one for me, thanks!

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:37 AM

Turing off dynarec solved it. Didn't think that would reset with the svn build.

Now save states seem to be working, though loading old ones crashes. Thanks!

Feb 7, 2010 at 1:16 PM

my savestates work fine now too. and thanks for the xcode handholding, I'm still used to linux. Thanks!

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:09 AM

hey im happening to have the same exact issues as imnu4ea and im entirely new to pcsx and i tried to make sense of how he fixed his issues but to no avail if somebody could provide me help in laymen terms thatd be greatly appreciated. As of now i've only have downloaded the latest source code im not sure were to go from there. if you guys could give me any help it would be greatly appreciated

Feb 9, 2010 at 1:58 AM
Edited Feb 9, 2010 at 1:21 PM

no prob. Eight easy steps to fun times.

step1) make sure xcode is installed on your mac (type xcode into spotlight if you don't know and need to check). If it is installed move on to step three (3) otherwise grab an age-appropriate beverage to quaff for the next 20 min.

step2) insert the operating system DVD that came with your mac. open the "optional installs" folder and install xcode, drink beverage while status bar creeps

step3) open the source code folder you downloaded and find the macosx folder, then open it

step4) find the blue icon named "Pcsx.xcodeproj" and double-click it which will open the source code in xcode

step5) click the build and run button which will compile the code and open the application

step6) go to the pcsx drop down menu, open up the preferences, and uncheck the dynarec cpu option. this is enabled by default but will cause pcsx to crash

step7) load an iso or run a disc, freeze a savestate, defrost it, and see if you're still having the problem (you shouldn't)

step8) delete the old executable of pcsx (assuming everything works now) and drag the new pcsx you just compiled from the pcsx/macosx/build/development folder to your applications folder or wherever you had pcsx. if for some reason the filepath is different on your box just find it with spotlight

step9) (optional) once you move the app where you want it drag and drop it to the dock for easy access. Happy gaming!

Feb 9, 2010 at 3:28 AM

thanks a million man now i can save state like a pro

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:07 PM

okay, savestates now function properly, but the emulator crawls. I fired up the old version which still works fine (minus the savestates). did I screw something up?

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2010 at 4:37 AM

try building with "Deployment" configuration rather than "Development" one, as the latter is unoptimized.

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:59 PM

I recompiled it with the correct options and everything runs fine now. Thanks!

P.S. dlp5142 since I steered you wrong you want to reopen the xcode project, there is a drop down menu in the lefthand corner set to development you will want to click on this and scroll down to deployment, then repeat steps 5-8. Sorry!

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:55 PM
Edited Mar 6, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Alrighty. I've tried all the tips above, and Star Ocean is still freezing on me, no d-pad and eventually (when I exit/enter fullscreen while game is frozen) PCSXr crashes. I am on MBP (10.6.2).

By the time I saw the 8 steps to Enlightenment by imnu4ea, I had already unchecked dynarec but I ran through the xcode/source code thing anyway but no change has been made.

Any takers?

Thank you in advance, and kudos to all those who worked on this project!

UPDATE: There seems to be something that isn't quite right, but no all wrong either. Occasionally I can get the d-pad to respond, but usually it will crash or freeze - in other words it is unstable. And last time it didn't even crash properly, I had to force quit.

- Chi 

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:50 AM

That being said, I'm at the last dungeon of Star Ocean Second Story and have never quicksaved. Somehow, it makes for realistic game play (much like playing on actual console) because I'm scared of getting killed in battle. I went through Persona 4 without ever worrying about getting owned because I had the possibility of quicksaving/loading, but without quicksave it becomes more satisfying to win a battle and quite exciting.

Cheers,

- Chi

The emu still needs a quick save though -_-