[Request] Emulated PSX CPU Overclock feature

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:16 PM
Edited Nov 18, 2015 at 10:20 PM
I've been unlocking the frame rate for games for some time and right now I am concentrating my tests on PSX.

When I first got results with some PSX games, I realized that the emulated CPU speed was not fast enough to mantain the higher framerate.

I don't know if there is something else that needs to be changed, but I downloaded PCSX-R source code and only changed the line "#define PSXCLK 33868800" (that's the PSX CPU speed, 33.8688 mhz) within the "psxcommon.h" file located at "pcsxr/libpcsxcore" in the source code and that was enough, no crashes or anything bad compared to original CPU speed.

The games are now running full speed, not only the ones I have uncapped FPS, but also games with internal slowdowns (those that occur on real hardware too) are running a lot better (Silent Hill 1 and Metal Gear Solid 1 are good examples of this). Some other games are running faster than they should, so it can be very game dependant.

This is my request: Implement a selectable CPU speed as a GUI option in the emulator (or even as an INI option if it can be a problem for users that don't understand the real use of it). About the possible options, for some games 2X CPU speed is enough, but for example, Silent Hill at 60 FPS needs 4X to be stable.

Almost any other console emulator has a CPU overclock option as it can be very useful, even more with the codes I will release at some point.

Thanks in advance.
Nov 22, 2015 at 6:40 PM
Interesting. This could be a config parameter indeed.
Dec 6, 2015 at 10:58 PM
Made a quick and dirty patch for this on Windows:
Just copied code from the region selector, so you'll have to reload the game for it to change
Dec 9, 2015 at 12:41 AM
Edited Dec 9, 2015 at 12:42 AM
Dude thank you so much for that, it works perfect of course.
Quick question though, did you use the latest official source code as a base to your changes right?

Unrelated but Gran Turismo 1 is broken with the latest official source code (works at 1FPS), it works good with a 1.9.94 build from source so I will check what revision broke it to consider a revert. This issue happens with your modified build too, not your fault but just saying.

Thanks again ;)
Dec 9, 2015 at 8:30 PM
Edited Dec 18, 2015 at 10:59 PM
Yeah, it's based off latest. I noticed some issues with games too, but SVN builds on emucr work fine so I assumed I was building it wrong/VS2015 issues.

EDIT: Yeah, it was just VS2015 issues. Building on VS2010 fixes it.
Dec 24, 2015 at 4:36 PM
Testing the above build i've noticed that Legend of Legaia has greatly improved internal framerate. Sound breaks however... Any idea on how one could fix that?