Zip Support

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:20 AM
Edited Jun 5, 2009 at 10:36 AM

I would like to request zip support :) for loading iso files...

Although never use it, it should be "easy" with a library like zziplib.

Coordinator
Jun 6, 2009 at 7:11 AM

afaik no, normal zip files cannot be supported as it won't be possible to read a small bit at a random location of the iso file inside a zipped archive without extracting the whole ISO. And that's why things like pSX or linuzappz's plugin use their own formats for compression.

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:15 PM
Edited Jun 15, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Ok, but what about a "stupid" zip support? Iso is fully unpacked to /tmp and used from there. When program is closed or another iso is oppened, file can be deleted...

You can say "That is stupid, decompress it yourself", but I believe in ease of use, and so I would like to put a DVD, or a BlueRay full of psx zipped ISO's and access them without having to manually unpack them.

Another option would be to decompress the file to memory, if enough memory is available...

Oct 13, 2009 at 10:58 PM
Edited Oct 13, 2009 at 11:16 PM
i23098 wrote:

Ok, but what about a "stupid" zip support? Iso is fully unpacked to /tmp and used from there. When program is closed or another iso is oppened, file can be deleted...

You can say "That is stupid, decompress it yourself", but I believe in ease of use, and so I would like to put a DVD, or a BlueRay full of psx zipped ISO's and access them without having to manually unpack them.

Another option would be to decompress the file to memory, if enough memory is available...

psx games are not like little mame roms and can't be readed on fly in any way or decompressed to memory in little time.

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:54 AM
mickyz wrote:

psx games are not like little mame roms and can't be readed on fly in any way or decompressed to memory in little time.

Have you read what I said? Where do I say they are little (if they where I could have them on disk)? Where do I said uncompressing takes little time?

i23098 wrote:

I don't care I have to wait to load the iso. I already have to wait, and unpacking/removing manually takes more time. What's the problem of having a progress bar while unpacking? As I said, it's a feature I would like... Don't like it, don't implement it :p I would like it, nevertheless.

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:47 PM

i23098 I'm not the pcsxr programmer :P but I think is more easy put all unzipped images to DVD and play these from it ;)