Differences to Windows version?

Sep 11, 2014 at 4:46 PM
Edited Sep 11, 2014 at 5:07 PM
Hi all, I just recently stumbled upon this emulator, I previously used epsxe and got pretty frustrated with it due to bad controller support and not closing properly every time.

This paragraph here is a little offtopic but might be important anyway. So when quickly searching for an alternative I just got to this site which comes with a shady installer so I decided not to use it -> http://ps1emulator.com/
I'm not sure if that website is related to this project but if its not then you might want to consider taking some action against them since they don't give credit anywhere (not even a link to this site) and as I said, the installer seems to be very shady and it seems they are also directly linking to PSX bios files which is illegal as far as I know.
But after a deeper search I got to this site here and with it to the official released code and I have to say, I'm very much enjoying it so far :)

Anyway, coming to the point:
I read that the Windows version hasn't been maintained for quite some time and that some features are missing compared to the Linux/OSX version and I wanted to ask, what exactly are those features?
And is only the Windows GUI integration missing for those features (like the features are in the code and working but there's currently just no way to call them in the Windows version) or is the situation more serious (like that the features are using platform-dependent code and for the features to work, they would pretty much need to be specifically written for Windows and in addition to that integrated in the GUI)?
Because I'm a hobby programmer myself and if its not too much work and the missing features are somewhat mandatory I could try to implement them myself (no promises though).
Sep 11, 2014 at 11:10 PM
Hello numanoid,

Well i know 2 things that are not in the windows version.
  1. Compatibility fix needs to be implemented in to the gui.
  2. For the dfvideo cpu conserve is not implemented.
Sep 12, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Hello numanoid,

Also forgot to mention that the Memory Manager is not working properly in the windows version.
Sep 12, 2014 at 3:04 PM
What compatibility fix are you talking about? A screenshot of the option (and an explanation of it) would help, unfortunately I don't have a Linux system at hand to easily compare the versions (or the GUIs).

I'm not sure if I can do anything about the dfvideo cpu conserve since I don't know how its supposed to work but I'll take a look at the code of the other platforms, hopefully it'll give me a better understanding of whats missing/should be included for Windows.

And what exactly is the problem with the Memory Manager? I quickly tried it out and it seems every piece of functionality is there (copy/paste/delete/format).
Sep 12, 2014 at 3:47 PM
Edited Sep 12, 2014 at 3:55 PM
Hello Numaoid,

The memory manager copy does not work and paste does not work properly. The compatibility hack option is missing in the gui for the windows version.

Pcsxr Linux Version

Pcsxr Windows Version

Compatibility hacks is needed for some games to boot up.
Sep 13, 2014 at 3:59 PM
Okay, I added the compatibility fix to the GUI. The integration should be correct though I cant really say if it works since for example I could start up/start playing Raystorm with the previous version just fine, maybe you know a game to test it.

While I was at it I also fixed the default main window size so it fits the PCSXR background image.

For simplicity purposes I'll just put a download link here (changed source files included) -> http://www.mediafire.com/?g5mo9prb1g7iwdj

And I still don't see any problems with the memory manager functions, though I admit that the usage is a bit clunky. Remember that you first have to select the space in the destination card/slot before pasting it.
Also the copy button only puts the selected save in memory, you'll need to hit the paste button afterwards to actually put it in the other card/slot.

Here are some images of such a process:

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:42 PM
Edited Sep 13, 2014 at 4:52 PM
Hello Numanoid,

I tested Parasite Eve 2 and it works. Not sure exactly where Raystorm needs the hack.

BTW: The memory manager works a lot different than i thought.

Submit here

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Edited Sep 14, 2014 at 11:20 AM
I added a patch file in my archive but I wont submit it in the source control since its format might be a little bit different and the revision numbers dont match (because I created the patch from my local files and didn't connect to the repository).

So I would ask any dev to submit a proper patch instead, as you can see from my patch file, the changes are marginal (they also include a few whitespace fixes which can be ignored) so it shouldn't be a problem to do it manually.
Sep 17, 2014 at 1:25 AM
Hello Numanoid,

Another thing i noticed is that Syphon Filter 2 has some graphic glitches when using
the hle-bios on windows that are not found on the linux version.