Questions about GPUBladesoft and replacement of Peops to Edgbla and other developers.

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:37 PM
Edited Apr 23, 2014 at 3:26 PM
1 What is GpuBladesoft highest possible internal resolution ?
2: Where I have to to put shaders ? Where are shader folders ?
3: Is there any newer version than 1.42a ?
3: Default plugin Peops OpenGL in its current state is garbage and practically has no graphics enhancing options.
In my opinion PSX emulaion is in sorry state compared to something like PCSX2,Dolphin or PPSSPP only good PSX gpu plugins are closed source and not updated for years.While default open source plugin Peops comparatively suck..Are you planning to ever realesing source code or least realesing new version of Bladesoft like 1.43 ? Why dont make GPU Bladesoft default GPU plugin for PCSX-Reloaded ?
Developer
Apr 17, 2014 at 7:54 PM
Edited Apr 17, 2014 at 8:16 PM
Hello Flower100,

I believe the shaders go in pcsxr/shaders directory for windows and pcsxr/plugins/shaders for linux. I believe the newest versions is the 1.42a.
Apr 17, 2014 at 8:12 PM
Edited Apr 17, 2014 at 8:14 PM
You mean regular plugins folder ? I think newest is 1.42a here is link: TEXT
Developer
Apr 17, 2014 at 8:18 PM
Edited Apr 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM
Hello Flower100,

No i mean pcsxr/shaders. Sorry my mistake.
Apr 17, 2014 at 8:23 PM
Edited Apr 17, 2014 at 8:25 PM
pcsxr/shaders ? where is this folder I cant find it anywhere.
Only folders I have are bios, langs, memcards , plugins , snap and sstates
Developer
Apr 17, 2014 at 8:24 PM
Hello Flower100,

You have to make it.
Apr 17, 2014 at 8:26 PM
Edited Apr 17, 2014 at 8:28 PM
How should I name it exactly and where to put it ?
Developer
Apr 17, 2014 at 8:40 PM
Hello Flower100,

EmuCR-Pcsxr-r90009/shaders
Apr 17, 2014 at 8:43 PM
Edited Apr 17, 2014 at 8:49 PM
I dont understand your response I have to name folder like that or what and where to put it ?
I cant name folder like than because I get message name of file cant have symbols like: /
Developer
Apr 17, 2014 at 8:50 PM
Hello Flower100,

Look at the picture.

http://postimg.org/image/bqiy99xeh/
Apr 17, 2014 at 8:59 PM
Edited Apr 17, 2014 at 9:00 PM
So I just have to make regular folder named shaders ? Strange thing is I dont have configs folder at all.Did you create configs folder yourself or it should be there from start.
Developer
Apr 17, 2014 at 9:04 PM
Edited Apr 17, 2014 at 9:05 PM
Hello Flower100,

The configs is where the gpubladesoftgui and the gpubladesoft.ini go for the edgbla's gpuBladeSoft .
Apr 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM
Edited Apr 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM
Thanks but where to put settings pcsx ini in plugins folder or configs folder with bladesoftgpugui ?
Thanks its working I put ini in configs folder with bladesoftgui.
Do you now what is max internal resolution in Bladesoft ?
Developer
Apr 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM
Hello Flower100,

No i don't know the max internal resolution.
Apr 19, 2014 at 9:14 AM
Edgbla can you please respond if you are planning to ever release Bladesoft source code or at least ever realese newer version of GPUBladesoft than 1.42a ?
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2014 at 10:27 AM
if you are planning to ever release Bladesoft source code
No, I don't have such plans.
at least ever realese newer version of GPUBladesoft than 1.42a ?
Yes, but 1.42 works well and does not deteriorate over time. :D
Apr 19, 2014 at 10:29 AM
Edited Apr 19, 2014 at 1:49 PM
1:So are you planning to realese this new version in 2014 ?
2:Is it possible to use driver forced AA in Bladesoft ?
3:Does it work on OSX ?
4:How can I enable shader effect its disabled and I cant enable it ? Is making folders named shaders in folder with PCSXR EXE and putting shaders there enough ?
5: To be honest closed source GPU plugins are curse of PSX emulation.Maybe if you are afraid that for example some closed source Android PSX emulators will steal it you can release it with custom license which prohibit commercial use of its code ?.
Apr 19, 2014 at 1:32 PM
Edited Apr 19, 2014 at 1:49 PM
Could you please answer my questions ?
Developer
Apr 19, 2014 at 1:44 PM
Edited Apr 19, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Hello Flower100,

You have to put shader in the saders folders. Look at the screen shot.

http://postimg.org/image/i4utb0yj1/

Guest Shaders From Petes Domain

You have to extract it then place them in the shaders folder not pete_ogl2_guest_shaders_v1 folder.
Also the cartoon shaders you have to copy them from the cartoon folder to the shaders folder.
Apr 19, 2014 at 1:52 PM
Edited Apr 19, 2014 at 2:09 PM
Do they need separate folders or one shader folder is enough ?
Okay thanks I will work this out myself.
You can also try Asmodeans PSXFX Shader pack.
Apr 19, 2014 at 2:05 PM
Edited Apr 19, 2014 at 2:08 PM
I still have these questions to Edgbla: 1:So are you planning to realese this new version of Bladesoft in 2014 ?
2:Is it possible to use driver forced AA in Bladesoft ?
3:Does it work on OSX ?
4: To be honest closed source GPU plugins are curse of PSX emulation.Maybe if you are for example afraid that some closed source Android PSX emulators will steal it. You can release it with custom license which prohibit commercial use of its code ?
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2014 at 2:20 PM
  1. I don't know, maybe.
  2. No.
  3. Yes.
  4. Nonsense.
Apr 19, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Edited Apr 19, 2014 at 2:37 PM
1: I really hope you will release new version because really PSX GPU plugins Bladesoft included werent updated for a long time.So any update would be great and Bladesoft is good but far from perfect currently.
4: Well it would be more beneficial for PSX emulation if multiple people could update/enhance it. Look at development of plugin like GSDX.
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2014 at 2:46 PM
Bladesoft is good but far from perfect currently.
For example?
Well it would be more beneficial for PSX emulation if multiple people
Not interesting.
Developer
Apr 19, 2014 at 3:24 PM
Hello edgbla,

Just wondering if you could fix this. When i use your gpu plugin and i have youtube playing it seems to mess up the
video in youtube. I believe the plugin does this because it tries to go to full screen first then drops to windowed mode.
I'm using Slackeware 14 64 bit with Nvidia driver 331.38.
Apr 19, 2014 at 4:04 PM
Edited Apr 20, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Apr 19, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Flower100, a project can be like your child. So not everyone likes other people putting their hands on it.

edgbla wrote:
  1. I don't know, maybe.
  2. No.
  3. Yes.
  4. Nonsense.
That made me lol.
Apr 19, 2014 at 6:37 PM
Edited Apr 19, 2014 at 6:40 PM
But other people can teach this child useful things. While if you lock up this child in the basement it will not learn anything new.
Apr 20, 2014 at 1:36 AM
And I'm sure the child is learning lots of useful things, in a private school... away from the prying public eyes.
Apr 20, 2014 at 8:32 AM
Edited Apr 20, 2014 at 8:33 AM
So I hope child will graduate from this private school so we will be able to finally see what it actually learned.
Apr 20, 2014 at 10:29 AM
Edited Apr 20, 2014 at 4:11 PM
1:For example there seems to be texture misaligment and bugs at higher internal resolutions and plugin is very slow in general for example with overclocked Haswell it seems to be barely playable with like 4x/5x internal resolution better multithreading would be very helpful . But most importantly could you please add more advanced features like even higher internal resolution, support for any type of AA and multi-pass shaders ? More advanced filtering would be very useful currently best it has is Hq3x could you implement 5xBRZ ? Also option to load Retroarch shaders would be very good and it needs Z-Buffer .
2:Currently it would be great if you released any update.But what will happen if in the future new operating systems or even new architectures of processors will break compatibility with Bladesoft and you will die without releasing source code ? It will be lost forever. Even if compatibility will not be broken but you will die without releasing source code no one will be able to upgrade it and PSX emulation will be stagnant forever. Author of OpenGL2 disappeared years ago so you are only hope for any advancement of PSX emulation quality of graphics.
Apr 20, 2014 at 4:10 PM
Edited Apr 20, 2014 at 5:19 PM
Edgbla you talked about texture jittering and Z-BufferTEXT and showed this:Image and I was excited it even has tessellation and texture replacement but you didnt release anything yet. PSX emulation is in desperate need of updated GPU plugin. If its real its incredible achievement currently there no plugin or even emulator which actually support tessellation other than Bladesoft. If it has tesselation it also seems to have hardware acceleration.
Apr 20, 2014 at 4:41 PM
Edited Apr 20, 2014 at 11:13 PM
Could you please share this new version with people by officialy releasing it ?
Apr 21, 2014 at 3:39 AM
Dude, PS1 emulation is hardly in a "sorry state". Perhaps it is if all you care about is HD graphics and enhancements, given the best plugins are closed source and outdated, but PS1 games hardly benefit from any of that crap anyway due to its multitude of issues with 3D. If you want accurate, stable, and compatible PS1 emulation, look into Mednafen, either the standalone version or through RetroArch if you don't like command line interfaces. You won't have "enhanced" graphics, of course, but if you actually care about having emulation that works and works damn well with minimal issues, look no further.
Apr 21, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Edited Apr 21, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Like I said before PS1 emulation is in sorry state compared to something like PPSSPP,PCSX2 or Dolphin which are in active development including graphics part. With all due respect but Mednafen is useless to me it doesnt even have save states and graphics are hideous. I am not into playing old low resolution 3D games on modern high resolution LCD monitor because they look even worse than originally which already looked pretty bad. High resolution graphics looks infinitely better. These issues you are talking about are already present at native resolution its just that everything is so blurry you can barely see anything,characters look like blurry blobs. Check out this link TEXT and picture I showed, Edgbla actually tried with good results to mitigate these issues including lack of Z-Buffer and texture jittering but unfortunately he didnt release anything yet .Thats why I opened this topic.
Apr 21, 2014 at 3:03 PM
You're wasting your time with all these threads, is what I'm saying. Developers will do as they see fit. You can give suggestions, but endless nagging will only irritate them. And anyway, even if edgbla released his most current code, playing at high resolution is nearly impossible with it anyway due to the exponential increase in processing power requirements. Are you gonna suggest to him that he optimize it so it runs fast next? And don't bring up GSdx, because it's inaccurate and buggy as hell.

Also, PS1 looks good at native resolution with a good shader, or on a CRT monitor. And I'll gladly take low-res graphics over the headache having to mess around with plugins, settings, and per-game fixes.
Apr 21, 2014 at 5:28 PM
Edited Apr 21, 2014 at 8:36 PM
Jumping into someone's else thread and trying to derail it is rude. I have enough of pixel purists who claim that only real way to play is at native resolution on CRT/with CRT shaders and attack anyone who wants to play at higher resolutions. Some people prefer modern screens and resolutions.I dont care about you or Mednafen and this thread is not about it.If you want to discuss about Mednafen, GSDX or CRT monitors do it in separate thread. Regarding Bladesoft Edgbla obviously could optimize it and it would be great if he actually did but its your problem your PC is to slow to run PSX games past their native resolution. Besides we dont even know how fast is this ''most current code'' you mentioned until he release new version.
Apr 23, 2014 at 9:29 AM
Edited Apr 23, 2014 at 9:34 AM
Flower100 wrote:
Regarding Bladesoft Edgbla obviously could optimize it and it would be great if he actually did but its your problem your PC is to slow to run PSX games past their native resolution.

"Obviously", you say. You make it sound so easy. What don't you understand about the fact that edgbla's code is low-level in all likelihood? Do you have any idea how hard it is to make low-level software rendering run at full speed at high resolution, even on top-end hardware? There is a reason all the hi-res-capable plugins, such as Pete's OpenGL2, are high-level in nature. My PC can max that plugin out, no problem, but it is still wholly inferior and inaccurate compared to bladesoft, as well as the renderer in Mednafen, both of which are low-level. Increasing internal resolution in low-level, non-hardware-accelerated plugins is incredibly resource-intensive. Perhaps it can be done with a healthy helping of coding wizardry, as well as a crapton of vectorization and usage of CPU instruction sets and extensions such as SSE and such, but again, it is all far, far easier said than done.

My point is, you are asking way too much of developers working for free, about things you likely have little understanding of.
Apr 23, 2014 at 9:45 AM
In any case, if you want your HD PS1 graphics to improve AND be playable on hardware that isn't from 10 years in the future, your best bet is to hope that Pete comes back from the dead and open sources OpenGL2, or someone else with extensive knowledge of the PS1's GTE hardware creates a new HLE plugin from scratch. In all likelihood, none of the developers here have the know-how or the interest to do the latter, which is why it is useless to endlessly nag them about it. This isn't an attempt to derail or troll the thread. It is real talk.
Apr 23, 2014 at 1:28 PM
Yeah there isn't currently that much interest.
Moving to googlecode/sourceforge/github may capture more interest. (When I clicked on the source code link, I thought it was dead, but after 15 seconds it came up)

Nagging won't help if there's nobody to do it.
Apr 23, 2014 at 2:37 PM
Edited Apr 23, 2014 at 8:57 PM
1:Pete unfortunately disappeared in 2008 his site still exist but its unknown if he is even alive . And I dont think he will ever release source code if he didnt already. GSDX is mostly LLE but its still pretty fast even in software rendering PS2 mode . GpuBladesoft is slow but its playable past native resolutions on overclocked Haswell. For real slow emulator check out fork of Desmume called X432R at higher resolutions. For me personally graphics quality is more important than speed 10-20fps is perfectly playable for me if I can have higher internal resolution and good graphics . So for me would be great if Edgbla released new version of Bladesoft with additional graphics enhancing features even if was even slower than currently. I think you are understimating Edgbla a little by saying none of the developers have know-how. He after all created his own plugin just because its currently limited to software rendering it doesnt mean it cant have better graphics even with software rendering alone.
Developers of other emulators I mentioned earlier like PCSX2/Dolphin/PPSSPP work for free as well but still make serious progress.
But if money is issue why PCSX-Reloaded developers dont create official home site and forum with advertisments like Google ad banner ?
2: I dont think its to much to ask to just bundle this Peops Soft GPU plugin with xBRZ I found: http://www.aep-emu.de/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=20054
Apr 23, 2014 at 2:41 PM
I don't think money is an issue, however few intrested developers is an issue.
Apr 23, 2014 at 2:49 PM
Edited Apr 23, 2014 at 8:54 PM
uyjulian wrote:
I don't think money is an issue, however few intrested developers is an issue.
Thats why I mentioned Git and Github/Sourceforge in the first place because at this rate PSX emulation is stagnating unfortunately and additionaly maybe PCSXR developers could announce on emulation forums they need help/additional developers especially for Windows version and graphics or something ?
Besides its not nagging , I am just worried about state of PSX emulation.