FF7 battle swirl (OSX & Peops OGL)

Sep 29, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Is there a known problem with the hack flags on Peops OGL for Mac? The "Adjust framebuffer access" flag that's meant specifically for the FF7 battle swirl seems to do nothing.

Additionally, the "hand" menu cursor looks like a black shadow, and the little red arrow that's supposed to show when you press start is invisible.
Oct 14, 2013 at 6:01 PM
I experience the same issues with the cursor. The game is still very playable, but it bothers me a little bit.
Oct 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM
This is also an issue on Windows. I am not sure how the plugin options are laid out on the OSX version, but on Windows, the only way to get any kind of swirl effect using PEOpS OpenGL 1.78 that I can see is to set the Offscreen Drawing option to Extended. However, the swirl is very inaccurate even then. Only the software plugins and Pete's OpenGL2 get it right, and it seems you do not have the latter on OSX, so you may be out of luck there.
Oct 16, 2013 at 1:01 AM
I actually tried running this in Windows on my iMac last year, and I didn't have the issue. But, I had some frame rate issues that I assumed were a symptom of running Windows 7 on my Mac, so I stuck with the Mac version.
Oct 16, 2013 at 6:04 AM
Ah, I actually figured it out for Windows. For the swirl to work, you need to have Offscreen Drawing set to Extended and Framebuffer Access set to "gfx card reads & moves". It seems to work with or without the special game fix that is supposed to be for the swirl.

Even so, it still doesn't seem to look as accurate as Pete's OpenGL2.
Oct 17, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Unfortunately it seems like the source for the OpenGL2 plug-in isn't available.
Oct 18, 2013 at 2:12 AM
And Pete dropped off the face of the earth, so it's not even possible to ask him to consider releasing it.