Performance related bugs and performing an alternate install on ~/

May 21, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Edited May 21, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Hello dev team and users,

I've spent a couple of hours trying to get MGS to run properly on a recent svn version of pcsxr.

After I fixed some problems involving manually replacing plugins from an old installation (from the debian repos), I have been able to use both the GTE enhancements and the analog feature.

After trying to play MGS I immediately noticed strong sound-related bugs in the konami intro music. Each small fragment of sound seems to get played too fast, causing a sort of garbled feel. This happens with the sound from the videos, too. Additionally, all of the cutscenes skip frames of else they get frozen (along with the sound) in a periodic fashion. The gameplay itself, actually controlling snake, seems to work just fine. I've tried all sorts of settings.

In Gran Turismo 2, I've noticed also that the music 'speeds up' for a couple of seconds on a regular basis (say, three-four seconds normal sound, then 2-3 seconds of high pitched squirrels). I believe this could be related.

The installation from SVN did not overwrite the old executable (it was called pcsx, the new one is called pcsxr) I tried firing it up, realized it loaded all of the new version's plugins (not surprising, since I manually overwrote them) and gave it a try. As expected, none of the analog or gte enhancements were present, but MGS played excellent, sound and video on the cutscenes.

Any pointers on where to look or what to change would be greatly appreciated.
If more info is needed, I will be glad to answer.

Edit: Also, I've thought that perhaps doing a local (home folder) alternate install could help my situation, as there have been conflicts with the upgrade. How could I go about doing this? are there a strings on the makefile which determine the install location? Is it possible this would help?
Developer
May 22, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Edited May 22, 2013 at 9:55 PM
When you do the ./configure or ./autogen.sh, give it parameter --prefix telling path under which stuff will be placed.

./autogen.sh --prefix=/under/this/path/shall/be/all/pcsxr/stuff/placed
Jun 2, 2013 at 3:02 AM
Hello,

I installed the emu again, this time on ~/pcsxr/

This installation (too), has the same problems with regards to mgs as I described.

Is there anyone who can confirm that this game in fact works well from a recent svn version? Under what settings does it run? Which plugins?

Thanks.

Daniel
Jun 2, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Have you tried this version of PEopS 1.10b?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/peopsspu110.u/files/
Jun 3, 2013 at 8:20 AM
I downloaded it just now, there are some references to a makefile for linux in the filemap, though there's no actual makefile there...

are you using this plugin on linux? How did you compile it?

do you know of any other plugins that are compatible with pcsxr?