Do I need PPF files?

Mar 30 at 3:01 PM
I'm guessing PPF stands for Playstation Patch File. Has this anything to do with copyright protection?
Are there any games that require it in PCSXR? If so, how do I use them please?
Apr 3 at 1:38 PM
Edited Apr 5 at 8:39 AM
Hello phenest,

The PPF patch file is often associated with updating video game ROMs. The file type is not unique to the Playstation although it was first developed for the Playstation. The Windows program PPF Studio can create the files and PPF-O-Matic opens them. PPF files can be used to patch ISO disc images. The identifying characters used for this association are - Hex: 50 50 46 .

I believe there are some pal games that need a patch or they don't play. I think Spyro 2 - pal version needs a protection patch or it will not run in pcsxr. There are other pal games that need protection patches to run on pcsxr. As far as using the ppf patch i believe peops cdr plugin has it built in. So you can just configure the cdr plugin then select the patch but, this is only on windows. There is a guide here for how to patch the image on linux here
Apr 4 at 6:42 PM
So the PPF files are really only needed because of copy protection. So if I enable the sub channel reading on the cdrom plugin, or rip the disc with the sub channel data included, I shouldn't need any PPF files.

I found this that explains the copy protection:

And this that lists games with and without protection:
Apr 5 at 8:34 AM
Edited Apr 7 at 8:35 PM
Hello phenest,

Yes you are correct. I only ever used a PPF patch for Dino Crisis. And that was a while ago when using pSX 1.13.

BTW: You can use PPF patch to convert NTSC-2-PAL.
Apr 5 at 3:36 PM
Funnily enough, I've just bought Dino Crisis, hence the question really.

As a Linux user, ripping sub channel data is possible with cdrdao. I think I'd rather do that than mess with PPF files. Playing from disc is too slow.
Apr 5 at 7:53 PM
I would try psxim and see if that works. If not there is a guide here.
Apr 7 at 7:10 PM
Why would I want to patch from NTSC to PAL? Doesn't PCSXR work with both anyway?
Apr 7 at 9:05 PM
Edited Apr 7 at 9:07 PM
It was probably for people that like to import games. They had pal playstation and ntsc game which i think when you tried to play it from the normal cd some of the screen was cut off or was smaller than it should be. So they would patch it to fix the screen size.

BTW: Did psxim work for you?
Apr 8 at 10:41 AM
Unless there's a newer version of psxim than 2008, it's no good. It rips audio tracks to BE, and does not handle sub channel data. It uses cdrdao as a backend and probably wouldn't take much to fix. I used cdrdao instead and Dino Crisis plays perfectly without any patching.