European Metal Gear Solid [SOLVED]

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:22 PM

Is there a means to make the European version of Metal Gear Solid to work? The French version would be nice too. When I try, the game does not boot. I use pcsxr 1.9.92-4 with Linux Mint 17.2 (a Ubuntu child). I have not tried with Windows. Thank in advance for any piece of information.
Oct 28, 2015 at 12:19 AM
Edited Oct 28, 2015 at 12:21 AM
Hello mpiter,

If you are using the HLE-Bios that game will not boot. You will need the psx bios and configure it to use that
instead of the HLE-Bios. If your on a 32bit OS you will need to use peops oss driver. After you get the peops
oss plugin you can type "aoss pcsx" in a terminal to use the alsa oss compatibility layer if you hear no sound.
on pcsx.

If your on a 64bit OS you can try this modified plugin below.

Also that version of pcsxr is really old you may want to try and compile it from source. You can follow the instructions
found here.

sudo apt-get install build-essential automake autoconf libtool pkg-config libcurl4-openssl-dev intltool libxml2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgtk-3-dev libnotify-dev libglib2.0-dev libevent-dev libsdl-sound1.2 libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl1.2-dev libsdl1.2debian libsdl2-2.0-0 libsdl2-dev xorg-dev libc6-dev checkinstall

In a terminal type

Example: cd /home/yourname/Downloads/pcsxr-version

chmod 755

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-opengl --enable-sound=alsa --enable-sio1 --enable-libcdio (you use ./configure -h to see options)

sudo make install
Oct 30, 2015 at 9:59 AM
Many thanks Solis for your quick answer. I immediately tried your suggestions two days ago but I could not work on it yesterday. It helped a lot even though I have not found the full solution yet.

I firstly tried a PS1 BIOS in my pcsxr 1.9.92 version and I could boot the game :-). The sound was choppy and the pictures was a succession of freezes and real movements alternating every few hundreds of ms. I tried the alsa 1.6.0 plugin because I run a 64-bit Linux Mint OS (Ubuntu child) but it totally broke the sound. I therefore came back to the audio SDL plugin and worked on the video parameters. I could not find a working set of parameters with the OpenGL plugin but I eventually succeeded in running the game at the right FPS with the XVideo driver. This driver leaves two annoying green bright vertical bars on the edges of the screen instead of the two usual black bars, but it is better than no Metal Gear Solid at all.

There is still a problem with my Microsoft XBox 360 wireless controller. When I press and release a button to access the item or arm menu (L2 or R2), the game stays stuck in the item or arm menu just as if I do not release the button. The only way to make pcsxr to believe that the L2 or R2 button is released is to maintain it constantly pressed, a little bit as if pcsxr confused press and release for the back buttons. This makes the game unplayable. I have the same problem with Oddworld Abe Odyssey which is the only other game I have using those buttons. Castlevania Symphony of the Night also uses those buttons but I am not far enough in the game to be allowed to use them, I have to collect items to make them effective. I therefore do not know whether it is a general problem of the Microsoft controller with Linux or a problem linked to a few games such as MGS and Oddworld.

I then tried the last pcsxr stable version (1.9.93). The alsa plugins broke everything, so I recompiled the code enabling the pulseaudio and SDL plugins. Once again the SDL plugin seemed the best but I could not find a working set of video parameters to run MGS. The screens always display 50 FPS but I always have the alternation of freezes and regular movements every few hundreds of ms and the sound stutters ("Here here here Sn Sna Snake. Col Colonel..."). The best but not working parameter set was with the XVideo driver set to its minimum and the SDL set with Volume LOW and everything off but SPU IRQ Wait on. But that left the freeze-movement alternance, the sound echo, and the controller problems with the button on the back of the Microsoft XBox 360 wireless controller. The XVideo driver set to its maximum gives exactly the same result, leading me to believe that it is not a computer power problem.

So presently pcsxr 1.9.92 seems my best option but I need to solve the controller problem. I have not found anything recent in this forum about this button problem. I have not tried the SVN version but I did not find commits dealing with the controller, so I guess it would be useless because I use a PS1 BIOS.
Oct 30, 2015 at 12:44 PM
Edited Oct 30, 2015 at 1:27 PM
Hello Mpiter,

For the controller problem you can try qjoypad or antimicro and set the keyboard keys to the pads if you can't get the controller working. pcsxr- is already more than 2 years old. The latest version of pcsxr is pcsxr-97809 found here.

Also for the sound on a 64bit system for metal your going to need the plugin below because some games with the current alsa plugin does not work properly. Try to compile the sound plugin in this version of pcsxr. Maybe the sound problem maybe
cause i compiled the sound plugin on Slackware.

To compile do the configure then change to the dfsound directory then make.
I'm not sure if this commad works in mint but you can try make install DESTDIR=/home/username/dfsound2.
then copy the files to /home/username/.pcsxr and /usr/share/psemu/dfsound.glade2

I dont get any green bars when using the xvideo with metal gear. What video card do you have? might be a video
driver issue.Also note on pcsxr this game has a lot of slowdowns on pcsxr.

If you can't get that to work you can try xebra on wine but there is a bit of a sound delay on my system.
you can find xebra here Click on the first picture at the bottom of the page.
Nov 1, 2015 at 7:33 AM
Hello Solis,

Thanks again for your pieces of advise. It helped me to solve everything.

I had not noticed that no stable versions had been published for two years. I installed the SVN version as you suggested. The sound and other details were better. I will keep that version.

I tested the sound on the 4 games I have, and it was good. I nevertheless successfully compiled the sound plugin version 48419 as you suggested. It provided cfgDFSound and but not the shared library and the XML interface dfsound.glade2. Because I do not know how to produce the two missing files I kept the 97809 version of the plugin.

The new version did not solve any MGS problems. I spent a lot of time playing around with the sound and video parameters but to no avail. I did not improve anything since my previous post except the controller problem.

About the controller problem I figured out that pcsxr confuses pressed and unpressed button for L2 and R2 in the 1.9.92 version and only for R2 in the later versions for my Windows wireless XBox 360 controller with my Linux kernel 3.16.0-38-generic. L2 and R2 are associated to Axis 2 and 5, respectively. Pcsxr mistakenly chooses - instead of + for those buttons when using the controller interface. To solve the issue, I just press the R2 button before requesting a change, I then click on the Change switch, then I release the R2 button to associate it to Axis 5+. It worked well on any version of pcsxr I tried.

This means that I can run MGS with pcsxr 1.9.92. I had good sound by means of setting High Compatibility Mode and SPU IRQ Wait to ON, and the other parameters to OFF. The picture quality is good with the Xvideo driver in full screen mode and all its parameters set to their maximum quality. I still have the green vertical bars instead of the usual black ones to fill a widescreen when a 4:3 picture is displayed, but I will not die for this. I have not intensively tested the game, I just reached the inside of the Tank after the Heliport. I died to check the Continue option, and I saved and restored the game without problems. I have not noticed yet a slowdown of the game, maybe later.

To summarize, I am going to use pcsxr 97809 for most games and 1.9.92 for MGS. If I am become bored by the green vertical bars in dark environments, I will try the other options you suggested.

Sometimes, when I use a free open-source piece of software, I like to give a small amount of money. I have not found a Donate button on this Web site. It there any?

Many thanks for your help, I would not have been able to solve all this without you.
Nov 1, 2015 at 3:37 PM
I found out that setting High Compatibility Mode and SPU IRQ Wait to ON in the Alsa 1.1.0 configuration can run MGS in the last SVN pcsxr version. The sound is not good, there are many slow down with the OpenGL plugin but only a few of them with the XVideo driver. When I know how to install the 48419 version of the Alsa plugin, I will try it because I suspect that there is a bad interaction between the video and the audio plugin.
Nov 1, 2015 at 3:40 PM
Edited Nov 1, 2015 at 3:48 PM
Hello Mpiter,

Your welcome. The sound problem in metal gear is with the dfsound plugin. If the old version of pcsxr 1.9.92
has good sound then you can try and

cp /home/yourname/.pcsx/plugins/ to /home/yourname/.pcsxr/plugins/

then you can switch the sound on pcsxr-97809 to use the older plugin for metal gear. However you will
need to configure the plugin with the new version first for Metal Gear because the cfgdfsound is not going
to work once you switch to the old version.

Also If you keeped the old from pcsxr-97809 that' s the new and you need the old version of the
plugin. The is not created until you do a make install DESTDIR=/home/yourname/DFSound2.

BTW: I don't think pcsxr has a donate button.
Nov 5, 2015 at 8:29 AM

This time it is fully solved thanks to your help :-)

I compiled myself the alsa sound plugin 48419 but I got exactly the same result as using your compiled version. So I definitely gave up that version of the plugin.

I then recompiled pcsxr 97809 with the SDL plugin. I got very good results with the XVideo driver, good sound and correct graphics without slowdown. The two vertical bars were black but the right one had colorful half circles. It looked like a incorrect buffer management of the video driver but it was much better than the previous bright green bars. I had good sound with the OpenGL driver with very good picture but slowdown and problems with in-game video from time to time that did not appear at all. I played around with the driver parameters and I found a set of parameters giving good sound, very good graphics, no slowdown and very rarely parasites hardly visible in some in-game videos. It was the best deal to me.

So, I saved the SDL, I reinstalled pcsxr 97809 with the alsa plugin, I copied your four Sound2 files corresponding to the alsa driver 48419 that I downloaded from your Web page , and I copied the saved version of the SDL file over the corresponding Sound2 version. Now, I have the last alsa and SDL plugins, each with its working configuration interface, I use the SDL driver for MGS and the alsa one for the other games, and I use the OpenGL plugin for all games. This gives me a very pleasant game experience.

I sincerely thank you a lot because I would not have been able to solve all this without your help.
Nov 5, 2015 at 6:16 PM
Hello Mpiter,

I guess i should thank you. Since you were using the sdl audio i decide to compile pcsxr with the sdl plugin. I
found that all you need for metal gear to work properly with the sdl plugin is to turn on High Compatibility Mode
and it sound fine.

The issue with is with the alsa sound plugin must have a bug.
Nov 6, 2015 at 8:23 AM
I am happy that I could also help a little bit. I tested MGS till beating Revolver Ocelot the first time. Everything was very good.

I actually played for the first time an episode of the series a couple of weeks ago starting with Metal Gear Solid: Twins Snake on my old Wii using the Gamecube compatibility mode of my Wii. I love the game but I heard that many people prefer the original version for the English dubbing, the music, and the less acrobatic in-game videos. That is why I decided to try the original PS1 game. I am somewhere in the middle of the Gamecube remake. I have just escaped after the torture sequences and I walk toward the communication tower to try to reach basements to destroy the Metal Gear robot. I will play the PS1 version at the normal level when I finish my current game that I started at the very easy level.

Jesus! How the port trick to beat Psycho Mantis was hard to figure out. I needed the colonel to tell me what to do before succeeding. I would never have found out by myself.