Can't load .bin in PCSX-R for Mac

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:51 PM
I don't know why, but when I try to run ISO, the bin files in the Bios are all greyed out, I can't select them at all. This is the first time I'm using an emulator, so can anyone help me with this problem?

I'm using the pcsxr-94433-macosx version.
My OS is OS X Yosemite version 10.10.3
Apr 22, 2015 at 1:18 AM
When you say 'in the Bios' do you mean in the Bios folder? Which bin are you trying to use?
Apr 22, 2015 at 6:35 AM
Yes, I meant the Bios folder. The bin I'm trying to load is Final Fantasy 7.
Apr 23, 2015 at 12:22 AM
I might be misunderstanding the problem here, but why would your final fantasy 7 bin file be in the bios folder?
When you downloaded that FF7 file, there should be a few files with it, maybe something like .bin / .cue ... Make sure not to move those files around, keep them all in the same folder; then when you want to open the iso, navigate to your FF7 folder and select the bin.

Or maybe that's what you're doing and it's still greyed out?
Apr 23, 2015 at 6:36 AM
Isn't the pcsx's Bios folder where you're supposed to place the game's bin files? The FF7 files comes in three folders, each for separate discs. Within these folders there's a .bin.ecm file and a .cue file.

I used the ECM app to convert the .bin.ecm file to .bin and placed them in the Library/Application Support/PCSX/Bios as according to this instruction:

http://theultralinx.com/2012/06/installing-playstation-emulator-pcsx-reloaded-os-lion/

But in the end, I can't load the .bin files at all. Am I doing something wrong?
Apr 24, 2015 at 4:38 AM
Edited Apr 24, 2015 at 4:40 AM
The bios folder is for putting the playstation bios files, not the cd images... what happens if you leave the files as they were after downloading them (and unzipping them if they were zipped) and press run .iso from the pcsxr menu, and navigate to that folder? Are any of the files there available or is everything is greyed out? Try clicking each of those files, if any of them open up the game you're good to go. It's possible that you have to convert the .bin.ecm to .bin as you've done, but in that case keep that converted file in the same folder with the .cue file.

You also may have to download a psx bios file and put it in that bios folder, but those don't have anything to do with ff7 they are a separate thing

That guide you posted is probably correct but it seems a little overdone, unless you run into problems you can mostly just download and play psx games without having to mess with anything.
Apr 25, 2015 at 9:08 AM
boxedj wrote:
The bios folder is for putting the playstation bios files, not the cd images... what happens if you leave the files as they were after downloading them (and unzipping them if they were zipped) and press run .iso from the pcsxr menu, and navigate to that folder? Are any of the files there available or is everything is greyed out? Try clicking each of those files, if any of them open up the game you're good to go. It's possible that you have to convert the .bin.ecm to .bin as you've done, but in that case keep that converted file in the same folder with the .cue file.
-Yes, everything is greyed out. I can't run any .bin files at all.
-I've already tried the putting the .bin files in the same folder as the .cue. Still doesn't work.
You also may have to download a psx bios file and put it in that bios folder, but those don't have anything to do with ff7 they are a separate thing
What bios file are you talking about here? If it's scph1001 then I already have that.
That guide you posted is probably correct but it seems a little overdone, unless you run into problems you can mostly just download and play psx games without having to mess with anything.
But the problem I'm having is that I can't play anything. At all. And it's not just FF7, I've downloaded other games and nothing is working. The .bin files are all greyed out and cannot be run.
Apr 26, 2015 at 5:19 PM
Edited Apr 26, 2015 at 5:20 PM
Well, first of all, you must have the cue and bin file together. Otherwise, the emulator won't know where the audio data is and where game data is. So trying it without the CUE won't work regardless. Just FYI.

Make sure that you don't have the emulated BIOS selected, and that PCSXR knows where your BIOS is.

Have you tried ISO files? Or converting them from BIN to ISO? Because if the ISO images play fine, then we can narrow the problem down to the file type instead of taking guesses as to what it is.

Make sure you are running an NTSC copy of the game. If you are using an NTSC BIOS with a PAL game, or vice versa, issues can occasionally happen. Some games modify the BIOS in real-time, and some assume certain values in the BIOS that might not be in the same location as another regions BIOS (necessarily, there are many BIOS dumps).

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the games aren't 100% complete or improperly packaged or something. Maybe check your disc images at redump.org?
Apr 27, 2015 at 5:32 AM
vgturtle127 wrote:
Well, first of all, you must have the cue and bin file together. Otherwise, the emulator won't know where the audio data is and where game data is. So trying it without the CUE won't work regardless. Just FYI.
Where should I put these files? I tried putting the .cue and .bin files in the Bios folder and it still doesn't work.
Make sure that you don't have the emulated BIOS selected, and that PCSXR knows where your BIOS is.
I'm not sure I understand the question here. Which BIOS are you talking about?
Have you tried ISO files? Or converting them from BIN to ISO? Because if the ISO images play fine, then we can narrow the problem down to the file type instead of taking guesses as to what it is.
I did, but no sound or images come out. Just silent black screen.
Make sure you are running an NTSC copy of the game. If you are using an NTSC BIOS with a PAL game, or vice versa, issues can occasionally happen. Some games modify the BIOS in real-time, and some assume certain values in the BIOS that might not be in the same location as another regions BIOS (necessarily, there are many BIOS dumps).
Yes, the game files I downloaded are NTSC. At least, that's what emuparadise.com claims.
The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the games aren't 100% complete or improperly packaged or something. Maybe check your disc images at redump.org?
I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to do here. Can you please help me?
Apr 28, 2015 at 12:18 AM
Don't put them in the bios folder, game iso's don't go there. That scph1001 file that you mentioned should be in the bios folder.

VGturtle127 said "Make sure that you don't have the emulated BIOS selected" In the preferences menu there's an option that says 'Simulate PSX Bios' make sure that's unchecked.

By the way under preferences what video plugin are you using?

When I open a .bin file it brings a black window, that can last sometimes up to 10 seconds before the game actually starts, so maybe let it hang there just to make sure.
Apr 28, 2015 at 8:44 AM
boxedj wrote:
Don't put them in the bios folder, game iso's don't go there. That scph1001 file that you mentioned should be in the bios folder.
Where should I put the game iso? And yes, the SCPH1001 is in the PCSXR's bios folder.
VGturtle127 said "Make sure that you don't have the emulated BIOS selected" In the preferences menu there's an option that says 'Simulate PSX Bios' make sure that's unchecked.
It's already unchecked.
By the way under preferences what video plugin are you using?
Graphics: openGL driver v1.1.78
Sound: openAL sound v1.1.0
When I open a .bin file it brings a black window, that can last sometimes up to 10 seconds before the game actually starts, so maybe let it hang there just to make sure.
No, still doesn't work. Also, the black screen is now orange for some reason.
Apr 29, 2015 at 6:10 AM
It's interesting that you get the orange screen - that's gotta be a good sign maybe?

When I am using the SoftGL graphics plugin and load a game, a black window pops up for a few seconds and then the game loads. When I am using the OpenGL plugin, an orange window pops up, and then again the game loads a few seconds later.

I wish I had a solution for you out but it seems my advice hasn't been too helpful - just a few more things to look at:

-When you press configure under the graphics plugin, there is a button there that says 'reset,' press that to make sure all your options are default.
-Try downloading a game from a different site, maybe there's some problem with the files you're using from that particular site. After you download that game (should be in downloads folder) as long as it isn't zipped, don't move any of those files. They are fine where they are, just open up pcsxr and choose run iso

Also, what happens when you choose run bios from the file menu?
Apr 29, 2015 at 10:41 AM
I did it! It actually works this time!

I dowloaded the iso from coolrom.com and extracted the .bin and .cue files. Then, I chose run ISO from the pcsxr menu and load the .cue files. This time the game actually loads for me. The only issue I have is there's seems to be a graphical error that causes the pointer in this game to be black instead of white, but this is only a minor inconvenience. Is there a way to fix this? Or should I leave it as is?

I also have questions regarding using cheats in pcsxr, should I open a new thread?

In any case I want to say thank you so much for helping me all this time.