OS X SVN Builds/Compiling

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:18 PM
Edited Mar 11, 2015 at 6:12 AM
Greetings,

I was wondering if one of you guys could clear up some things for me.

First, I'm curious about whether or not SVN builds for OS X are provided on the PCSX website, or whether one needs to compile them on their own. I'm assuming it's the latter, but I wanted to double-check.

Secondly, I wanted to ask what the proper method would be to compile the OS X build. I have systems running 10.8, 10.9, and 10.10, with varying versions of Xcode and Cmake, so I should be good on that front. Just wasn't sure if I should do it via command line, or from within Xcode.

Lastly, 1.9.94 Alpha is the latest listed release, and it's from November 9 of last year. Are there any plans to put out a new "stable" build in the near future? If not, what does PCSX-R's roadmap look like?

Thanks so much for your time.

Cheers,

Logan Scott
Jul 11, 2014 at 2:21 PM
Just load up the latest version of Xcode and build the project, now use Spotlight to find the pcsx2 application.
Developer
Jul 13, 2014 at 12:41 AM
For building an OS X version of PCSX-R, use Xcode. You will also need the SDL2 framework in /Library/Frameworks in order to link a sound plug-in and the input plug-in. You can use the the Project -> Archive menu item to build the, which will create an archived version of PCSX-R. It should then pop up a new window that lists Xcode archives. Click Distribute..., then distribute it as a Mac Application.
Jul 20, 2014 at 5:38 AM
Thanks, MaddTheSane, I appreciate the response. Haven't gotten around to messing with it, but I'll definitely give it a go. It's great to see you plugging away at the OS X code. Cheers!
Jul 22, 2014 at 6:22 PM
Wanted to give you an update on this, as I think I got it working, although not in the exact way in which you suggested.

First, I installed the SDL2 framework and fired up Xcode. I couldn't Archive the project since I don't have a paid developer account (won't allow signing). So I instead selected Product>Build For>Profiling, which is what I'd been told to do for OpenEmu, and it worked!

The thing is, the file size is a bit strange. The package that I wound up with when compiling version 1.9.95 build 91028 is 6.8MB, while the package I'd received from EmuCR (version 1.9.95 build 90608) is 9.7MB. I was wondering if you might have any idea as to what could be causing such a large discrepancy.

I'd like to distribute these on Vanilla Gamer, but I wouldn't want to do so if it had the potential to cause problems.

Cheers!

-Logan
Jul 22, 2014 at 6:25 PM
I wouldn't trust EmuCR builds at all, they often don't work well..
Jul 22, 2014 at 6:30 PM
Duly noted. Thank you very much.

As an addendum, I'm building on 10.10 beta 4 using the Xcode 6 beta. Figured that was relevant information. :)
Developer
Jul 23, 2014 at 3:52 PM
I have recently moved stuff around, mainly copying the SDL2 framework only once.
Jul 24, 2014 at 3:08 PM
Ah. That makes sense since the SDL2 framework is 3MB. Good to know!