Hi, will be ever a Mac OS X port of this emulator?

Feb 2, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Hi,

new to this place, i've really enjoyed this news after i've read it that another version of this fantastic emulator has been borned. I've read that is for Linux and for Windows too, so i camed with a question in my mind that is: will be ever any port to Mac OS X too? I'm a Mac user and  would like to play PSX games too, without any limitation (like all emus onto Linux or Windows do). And if so will it be for Mac Intel too? (also PPC if you want or maybe an Universal build).

Thanks again for this relase. Hope it will not offend you that i've asked you this thing ^^ And i whis you very luck into this project.

Greets,

GTOnitsuka

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2009 at 12:29 PM
well sorry but I currently don't have access to a Mac machine so maybe I won't be able to do a Mac port.
However as long as the sources to PCSX are available, maybe someone else can make one.

currently there is already a port of PCSX for Mac at: http://pcsx.gpost.dk
Feb 2, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Thanks for you rapid response, and i know about that version but it doesn't function very well (yes it can play gams but i've got no result by starting FF9 or FF8 with original discs). Although i've got some skills in C++ coding and i've tryed to make some Cocoa apps into XCode, but i'm not so advanced that i probably could  not do anything until now. But i would like to ask you another thing. Do you know a plugin for that PCSX for Mac that is like Peops CDR Plugin? I think that probably the error is into the plugin. If you can make a port (by simply writing the code) i can compile it if you want :)

Thanks again, GTOnitsuka

Coordinator
Feb 3, 2009 at 5:56 AM
Edited Feb 3, 2009 at 5:57 AM
well I dunno about the plugins for the Mac port as actually I never used it :(

for FF8/9 I think the PAL version has copy-protection and needs to be patched to be used in emulators (enable SubQ read in CDR plugin may also help), not sure if that's the problem.
Feb 3, 2009 at 11:21 AM
Oh i understand that, and yeah you're right about the SubQ will help that fact (i know that they are protected). So i'll formulate my question well: where can i found a CDR plugin for PCSX for Mac that has the SubQ (aka Sub Channel) option into it? The default that it have cannot do that thing. Or if you can help me i'll try to modify the sources by implementing that thing by myself :)
Coordinator
Feb 4, 2009 at 2:11 PM
well sorry but honestly I don't have much knowledge with Mac or that Mac port of PCSX.
I've searched in Google, but found no useful results on a Mac CDR plugin which has support for subchannel :(
Feb 4, 2009 at 2:16 PM
Oh well thank you very much, that's not a problem. I've also searched by myself and not results at all. So after this period of exams that i have i think that i'll dedicate my time by trying to implemenent that feature to the actual source of CDR plugin that have PCSX for Mac :)

Thanks anyway for all, last but not least if can i give you an advice, after you will relase a stable update to PCSX Revolution, do the Linux Packages (like DEBs, RPMs and so on) so the installer could be user friendly too :) And if you can add it to the repo of ubuntu ;)

Thanks you very much for all, and i wish you very lucky to the project :) Have a nice day, Greets!
Jul 30, 2009 at 4:17 AM

I'm currently working on restarting PCSX development on Mac OS X, with the intent to eventually port PCSX-df or PCSX-reloaded.  I've just begun development, though, and there are quite a few roadblocks already.  In the meantime, there exists a port of the pSX emulator to the Mac, but it won't be released until the next update 1.14, which is apparently ready but hasn't been ported yet.  It will be Intel only, though, and, since PCSX-df has a PPC dynarec, there's a chance of releasing a Universal binary.

Coordinator
Jul 30, 2009 at 9:08 AM
Edited Jul 30, 2009 at 9:10 AM

nice to hear that :)

the current SVN version of pcsxr contains some prelimiary OSX code which is adapted from the original PowerPC Mac code (sadly it seems the Universal code is never released), still has crash issues with dynarec turned on though, not sure if it will helpful.

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Well it's nice to hear that too, and i'm also a developer myself (sorry if i didn't told that before). If i could contribute in any way to the develop of PCSX-Reloaded project for Mac OS X i'll be happy to do that, as much as i can.

And i'm happy to hear that there's also a Mac version of pSX emulator and i hope it will be out soon. Do you know if there's a beta around the internet? Or it's a private build or the port is not started yet?

Thanks for the replys :)

Greets,

GTOnitsuka

Coordinator
Nov 2, 2009 at 8:36 AM
Edited Nov 2, 2009 at 8:44 AM

done porting all of the powerpc plugins to Intel. Sources are commited into SVN. They should not be considered as bug-free though.

dynarec still needs to be fixed.

however it should be possible to build a working macosx intel binary from the SVN source now, as long as dynarec is disabled in the options :)

Nov 2, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Pretty good man :)

Thanks for all the effort you're putting in it. I'll try to compile it whenever it will be ready to run on intel if you want :) And to beta test of course ;) P.S.: I'm on Snow Leopard now, so you need some help to try it here just ask :)

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:08 AM

You've done amazing work! (anyone, everyone involved..).      I dunno if I should start a new topic/issue or what, (i'm not used to communal coding), but: I downloaded the latest svn source, and was compiling the plugins and PCSX. Everything compiled beautifully, (on new MBP w/ snow leopard) except the:   CDDeviceInterface  which had 8 errors.  Thoughts  suggestions?- proper place for this inquiry as well as follow up results? I'll tinker with the code... possibly follow up here, unless told otherwise.

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:48 AM

ah ha!!  fixed!   okay, so I KNOW this isn't the right place (i think, most likely, would someone please send me a tutorial link on how to properly use open source code trackers so I don't make people mad in the future ? ...really, honestly, it would be great! )    but here's the solution:

in PlugCD.c  line 35, needs to be changed from

#include <IOKit/scsi-commands/SCSITaskLib.h>

to:

#include <IOKit/scsi/SCSITaskLib.h>

Coordinator
Nov 13, 2009 at 12:35 PM
Edited Nov 13, 2009 at 5:57 PM

thanks for the fix :) I commited the patch as it also doesn't seem to broken with old versions like Mac OS X 10.4, which seems to have no negative effect.

as for trackers, well the trackers are usually not the same at different places so there isn't really a unified "tutorial" here :)

Nov 13, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Yeah... I kinda figured. Still... someone should come up with a 'general tracker basics' wiki article or something... anyway-- glad to help! 

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:37 AM

Can anyone who's built this on OS X share their steps to set it up so that make works?  I could try messing around with the source files themselves, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong?

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:29 PM

There should be no need to mess around with the source files, just make sure you get them from the right place:   (Click on the Source Code tab above, then on the right side of the page, click download latest source).   Then, you should make sure you have xcode tools installed (from apple developer website) .  and then navigate in the source code, (after extracting the zip file), to the folder "macosx"  then open the Pcsx.xcodeproj file (the xcode project), and in xcode select Build and Run, or just plane "Build", (under "Build) from the file-menu bar. 

also, the plugins are in the macosx/plugins directory, all of which are also xcode projects. you cannot click "build and run" from these, instead you have to do just the plain 'ol "Build".  and make sure to move the built plugins to the pcsx app you build, or double click the plugins to have them added automatically. 

IF you are doing THIS process, and are experiencing a build error, post the error, and I'll try to help more...

now I'm late for class, g'luck! 

Dec 13, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Thanks, that worked perfectly for me, I was trying to use configure+make and completely missed the xcode project somehow.

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:04 PM

I suspected as much -- (i did that at first too). Glad to be of service.