FFVII Freezing Issue

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:21 PM
Edited Aug 22, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I recently started playing FFVII via PCSX-R and whenever I get to the Kalm flashback and finish fighting the dragon, the game freezes as it is fading out of battle. I've read a few posts online about people having this issue, but haven't seen a fix anywhere. I don't think it is the game itself because this freezing happens both with an ISO file AND the actual FFVII PSX game disc. So, it must be the emulator. Is there a workaround to this? Downloading a different plugin of some sort, or changing something in configurations, and if so how do I go about doing it (I'm pretty new to all of this stuff)? If it matters, I'm using a Mac.

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: I got around this by downloading PCSX and using that since I figured something having to do with PCSX-R itself was the issue. I got around that part, saved, and then continued playing on PCSX-R. However, I would still like to know if anyone knows the cause of this issue as I have heard there are other FFVII freeze points later in the game (like Cosmo Canyon).

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:04 PM
have you tried using the interpreter instead of the dynarec? (go to CPU settings, enable interpreter cpu)
it's fixed some freezing issues for me, and with a pentium 4 or better it should even be noticeable.
Feb 20, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Hello alexponential,

What version of pcsxr are you using? I know i beat the game with the hle-bios on
pcsxr-81738 and i did not have any issue with the game freezing at any point. The
only way i know that you can get a bsod is if you use the hle-bios with interperter
Jun 13, 2014 at 2:06 AM
hey alexpotential,

How did you get PCSX running on your mac? I can run PCSXR but since I'm on an intel mac it wont let me run PCSX, how did you get around that?

and laharl2k,

I didn't see "CPU settings" anywhere in PCSXR preferences.....