USB Adapter constantly triggers "Hat 0 Up"

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Hi,

I have a USB-to-PS2 adapter, and most of the time it doesn't work. If I click an entry in the "Configure"-dialog, it instantly gets written as "Hat 0 Up" before I had the chance to press a button on the controller. Sometimes, it works normally, but that's maybe 1% of the time.

Using a SNES (or Sega Genesis) Adapter+Controller, everything works fine in PCSXR, but the PS2 controller works fine in SNES9x as well, so this is supposedly not a hardware problem, but a software problem in PCSXR.

I'm on a OS X Lion, if you need some logs, let me know.

Kind regards 

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:59 PM

It is because your controller is getting old and/or get banged around alot and/or the buttons are not in it's default position when you first hook it up. Alot of controller's dpads and analog sticks stick all the time. I have a usb-to-ps2 adapter that I use with my ps2 controller from radioshack. Futurely, when you unwind it, don't let it hit the ground xD. It'll get messed up in no time. Also messes up if you're a hardcore gamer of games in which you have to rapidly press buttons or press buttons at precise moments. The logitech ones aren't any better. Nothing you can do but be careful and take extra care of your controllers. PS2 pads are hard to find nowadays.

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:31 PM
Edited Aug 8, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Same problem here with brand new controller.

I don't think "SomebodyWithName"'s pad is broken.

I've got the very same problem with my XBOX360 pad. I'd like to point out that the same pad is working fine both on Windows (with Steam games) and on my XBOX360. The shoulder buttons when pressed mess up the input plugin, blocking all the other buttons. When the shoulder buttons are pressed again, all the previously pressed buttons will be received.

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04, and the problem persists with both the repository version and the latest one (i compiled from SVN).

Any suggestion on how to fix this?