An other idea for z-buffer

May 29, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Hi!
Your work with gte to fix polygons in psx emulation is amazing! But, before gte accuracy, I had an idea, and I spoke with edgbla about it, an idea for z-buffer:
He shown that is possible to move the 3d camera in the scene, to get two views and then a stereoscopical image.
Why not use the two images, in wireframe maybe, to reconstruct the 3d scene, or a good approximation of the depth in the scene?

There is an open-source software that does this stuff from pictures: insight3d (http://insight3d.sourceforge.net/)
If this's possible with complex pictures, why not with the poor polygons of playstation games?
Before of gte accuracy, it was very hard for the poor resolution of vertex; what now?
Tell me what you thinks!

Thanks for your attention.

Coordinator
May 30, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Using Z-buffer isn't possible without per-game hacks and since nobody wants to make the hacks for all the games - Z-buffer on PSX isn't possible for now.

May 30, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I understand that a real and perfect z-buffer is impossible, but what is wrong with my idea for a good approximation of the depth?
A simple depth mask can allow amazing effect like SSAO, DOF, Fog effects, and shadow mapping.

Coordinator
May 31, 2012 at 7:22 PM

It's needed to find out the depth for each of the scene's primitives for the correct working of the algorithms you've named, it is very hard and sometimes even impossible.