Trying to get some games to load on pcsxbox

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Hi there.  I'm the current coder working on pcsxbox which is Pcsx ported to the xbox by x-port.  I've recentally been improving it by adding alot of features from reloaded.  In particular the CD Rom code and the new GTE.  However I have this one issue I can't seem to figure out.  I cannot get the game "007 - World is not enough" to boot and I'm not really sure why..

I poured over the code and updated everything up to about where the Alpha 3 was (I think that is the one) which is capable of loading that game.  So with the exception of the CD Rom code which is updated to the latest, and the GTE (using new GTE code) the code is approx in the same state of Alpha 3.  X-port had already put in alot of CD plugin support so alot of the CDRiso code is not even currently used by the emu.  Although I have looked over most of it and compared to see if I saw any discrepencies.

On my version it freezes on the load screen (load bar at about 1/4th the way) which seems typical for pcsxbox in that a load usually completes at the point.  Best I could tell tracing thru the code after the load screen appears it reads a bunch of sectors and then just sits there when done.

So I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction code wise to look to determine what is going on, or what the game is waiting on that it is not getting.  Any suggestions, hints, or tips on how to determine what is going on would be great!

Thanks

Madmab

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:56 PM
Edited Oct 24, 2011 at 9:55 AM

ok I got 007 WINE working however no sound on the movies atm.  On other games the movie has sound like normal.  So that is next on my todo list.  The game not loading had to do with a goof I had in psxmem.c and psxmem.h...

Any help would be appreciated.  :)

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Alright it turns out the movie sound is ok.  It's possible I had the TV muted or I was just zipping thru it so fast I missed, or better yet I managed to fix it after I went over the code to make sure I didn't miss anything.  Next thing on my list is Devil Dice.. looks like it is waiting on something but I'm not sure what..

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:03 AM

I'm not a coder at all but can I just say you're doing a pretty darn good job with that emulator. I mean when I first tried it I didn't actually think it would play PSX games at decent speeds but sure enough it did and pretty well too.

Anyways hopefully someone can get in contact with you so they can help you. I know I'm looking forward to a newer release.

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Thank you.  When it comes to the initial port.  X-port did all the heavy duty stuff.  I've just picked up what he did and really improved it (especially in the CDDA) area which was probably one of it's biggest disadvantages.  However all these enhancements are available only in the beta I'm currently working on.  In the beta I'm trying to load up one of the core with as many reloaded features as possible before releasing.  So you can thank the reloaded team for getting so many things working since the version x-port released.  It's mostly going well but as you can see I am still running into the occasional odd quirk.  :)

But yeah it runs surprisingly well on the Xbox.. Not quite as nice as I would like (poor 'ol xbox can only do so much).. but rather nice.  :)