.cue file with multiple bin files, how does it work in pcsxr?

Aug 10, 2011 at 7:31 PM
Edited Aug 10, 2011 at 7:33 PM

I wanted to play for example castlevania symphony of the night which has one data track and an audio track (as a cue with 2 separate bin files).

If I open the cue file directly pcsxr tells me it's not a valid playstation cd. I can start it fine with just selecting the first bin file, but then I am missing some music in the game?

I tried looking at the source code quickly and only found (in cdriso.c) parsecue which tries to open the cue file from the given .bin name - but how can this work when you have multiple tracks since the files would be called something like xxx - track 1.bin xxx - track 2.bin and so on? It just feels like in my opinion that pcsxr is doing it the wrong way around, shouldn't it rather be fed a cue file from which it extracts the track names?

Anyway, I would just like to be enlightened as to what I should do in order to get it to work(tm) :)

[EDIT: and btw, this is in linux using r69581]

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:34 PM

The second Track from SotN is just a Bonus-Audio-Track that isn't used ingame AFAIK. So you're not missing anything there. :)

But you're right, there are a lot of games like the Wipeout- or Ridge-Racer-games which have CDDA music tracks that obviously do get used. The way I worked it out: After properly extracting my bins and verifying them against dumps from redump.org, I combined all bin-files into one, including the proper gap-information from the cue file, so i just open the one .bin in pcsx-r. As I understand it, the cue is only useful for gap information anyway, but if this gap information is included (usually 2 seconds of zeroes between tracks) in the .bin you get the exact same data like with the cue.

So, if you have your many bin-files, you could just load the cue in an image burning app like imgburn and let it write a new image to just one bin. this also gives you a proper cue with the gap-information for that new bin, should you ever want to mount or burn it back. Of course, it would also be nice if future versions of PCSX-R could just properly load cue-files.

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Yes, that's what I had to do in the end. Start virtualbox and mount the cue/multiple binfiles and make another image with for example alcohol 52%. cdemu in linux does unfortunately not understand how to read XA data from playstation tracks, otherwise that would have worked. Maybe I'll work up enough courage to add multiple track support some day.