Use ini files instead of registry

Mar 3, 2011 at 5:32 AM

It makes easier to manage configuration per game, now if I want a custom config for some game I need to export registry and load the .reg before launching the game.

Having all those settings in an ini file would make it smoother.

Also an option to have dualshock enabled by default on startup would be sweet

Mar 3, 2011 at 4:51 PM

This isn't PCSX-r specific. It is the case for most(if not all) psx plugins on windows. The difference between pcsx-r and other emulators being that the major ones have front-ends available which simplify this issue, however pcsx-r does not(atleast to my knowledge). I would have to agree with you though, considering the way in which most emulators are distributed. Since they don't install on a given system, they remain somewhat portable. The use of the Windows registry, however, restricts this portability. You can't put pcsx-r(or most other emulators) on a flashdrive, use it on a different computer, and retain your settings without first exporting/importing registry keys. Also, in the event that I felt the need to edit a configuration manually, i'd my rather edit a configuration file as opposed to the Windows registry. This is just my(somewhat biased) opinion on the matter, so don't let the fact that I absolutely despise the Windows registry effect anything. ;)

Mar 3, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Oh so it's a plugin issue.

Yes all the PSX emus that use the PSemu Pro spec store their settings on the registry so it's kinda annoying.PCSX-r is not major as it has not reached mainstream (mainstream in the emulation scene is a small niche i guess) but it's the most compatible emu so far bar XEBRA I guess.