request: an other way to compress iso

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:43 PM
Edited Feb 27, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Hello, all my apologizes,if I made some mistakes

Pcsx reloaded is a very good thing , your work is Great!!!

But I think that you could add a better way to compress iso/bin file (for example psx v1.13 compress iso with an high efficiency) , this software use the zlib library to compress game.

Ther is also an other possibility to gain some place: by modifiying your iso: a way to delete automatically dummy files or replace it by null files would be very nice => lossless compression

An other way? some emulator use a compression by modifying the TOc, it replaces original format of the soudtrack by a classical mp3 or change the codec of the video. The emulator decrypt this new file on the fly

And what about à lossy compression?

I want to present this project to you jPSXdec ( http://kenai.com/projects/jpsxdec/pages/Home ), By using it you can identify the files of your game .... and then you may add an option to delete/replace each files you wish (example: SONY's intro video.STR) => it s a deletion on demand .

You can use today jpsxdec and an iso editor to replace this files with null files

This method is dangerous because it modifies the TOC. After that , some emulator have problem with the new iso (The Toc has changed , the data adress too)

By using that method you can reduce the size of your Iso in function of your needs. But some emulator (like psx) will have problem to play the game when your emulator, or epsx works this edited Iso without any problem

The problem is to make a safe way and a clear way to do that without having crashes on the emulator when you run the game

A final compression of the edited Iso  makes a smaller result

Coordinator
Feb 27, 2011 at 3:27 PM

it has no reason.