Slow performance in Crash bandicoot 2 and 3 (latest "non-svn" emulator release on codeplex.com)

Nov 25, 2010 at 4:48 AM
Edited Nov 25, 2010 at 4:50 AM

Hi, I get slow performance or what appears to be frame skipping in various areas of these games. Most notably the lobby area in Crash Bandicoot 3 when walking around with the shock fences. From the looks of it the emulator mostly uses the CPU and barely the GPU, has progress been made in better processing efficiency in recent SVN releases? Should I use a specific one for these games? Where can I acquire a compiled build of these SVN revisions?

I tried the included Software renderer which looks like ass and Pete's OpenGL2 plugin. The default OpenGL plugin doesn't render anything no matter how I configure it (though I could hear the game!)

Windows 7 x64

Intel i7 920 @ 2.66

Asus P6T

6GB RAM

Integrated RAM

Nvidia Geforce 250GTS 1024MB

Nov 25, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Slowdown = don't know. Haven't played enough those games.

Windows SVN usually:

http://www.emucr.com/search/label/PS/

Nov 26, 2010 at 6:10 AM

Getting a proper BIOS image resolved the performance issues.

Nov 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Thanks for the tip!

Nov 27, 2010 at 10:44 AM
Edited Nov 27, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Actually, getting a BIOS improved the performance of Crash bandicoot 3. Crash Bandicoot 2 remains slow, it's like slowmo now where as before it would run with what looked like "frame skipping". This means the video goes out of sync with the audio during cut scenes and such.

Edit: My bad, I own both games but it seems I had downloaded an NTSC version of the second game (No idea why) and so the slowdown was caused by me setting the emulator to 50FPS. Anyways There is no problem with Crash Bandicoot 2 or 3, performance wise and audio is in sync for cut scenes.

I might make a copy of my Crash 2 disc some time to save me the hassle of switching frame rates all the time as I don't trust the emulator to manage it correctly when switching between regions etc.